What is vaginismus?
Vaginismus is a spasm or contraction of the muscles around the vagina. This can happen during sexual intercourse. It can also happen when you try to insert a tampon into the vagina, or during a gynecological examination like a Pap test.
What are the causes of vaginismus?
Physical conditions involving:
- Scar tissue
- Tight pelvic health muscles
- Tight connective tissue
- Chronic constipation
- Digestive dysfunction
- Psychological reasons such as:
- Fear, for example, of pain or pregnancy
- Traumatic life events or a history of abuse
- Negative emotions towards sexual intercourse