Fibroids and Cysts
Fibroids and cysts are common nuisances that many people experience, and they can be quite painful. Physiotherapy can help ease some of your pain and discomfort you may be feeling from your fibroids or cysts. Request an appointment with Peach Physiotherapy & Wellness Centre today.
What are fibroids?
Fibroids are benign tumors that develop specifically in the uterus. They are made up of smooth muscle cells and connective tissues. If you have fibroids, you are not alone – in fact, approximately 70-80% of women will develop fibroids at some point in life.
Oftentimes, women may not even know they have fibroids, as it is possible for them to occur without any additional symptoms. For those that do develop symptoms, you may notice:
- Heavy periods
- Periods lasting longer than usual
- Bleeding or spotting between periods
- Frequent urination or incontinence
- Pain or pressure in the pelvic region
- Pain during intercourse
- Lower back pain
- Difficulty getting pregnant
What are cysts?
Cysts, on the other hand, are a bit different and can grow on almost any part of the body. There are several different types of cysts, including, but not limited to:
- Sebaceous cysts, which occur beneath the skin
- Bartholin’s cysts, which occur on the Bartholin glands near the vaginal opening
- Goiters, which occur near the thyroid
- Ovarian cysts, which occur within or on an ovary
- Ganglion cysts, which occur on the lining of a joint
Cysts are pockets, also known as sacs, that made up of membranous tissue. They can contain fluid, air, or other substances. It can sometimes be difficult to determine when a cyst is in need of medical treatment, but some common indicators include:
- When the cyst becomes painful
- When the cyst is located in a troublesome area
- When the cyst becomes infected
- When the cyst is a troublesome type
Find relief for your fibroids and cysts
Physiotherapy can help with the symptoms of fibroids and cysts by providing specialized treatment for your organ systems called visceral manipulation as well as targeted exercises and stretches to help with pain and discomfort. Additional modalities, such as massage, other manual therapies or ice and heat therapies may also provide relief. Your treatment plan will be dependent upon the type of fibroid or cyst you have, the area it is located, and any accompanying symptoms you may have.
If you are looking for pain and symptom relief for your fibroids or cysts, look no further. Peach Physiotherapy & Wellness Centre can provide you with the treatment you need to help combat your fibroid or cyst symptoms and get back to living a normal life. Contact us today!